|Forum Home > General Discussion > Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and other Museums|
Smithsonian Air & Space Museum
and other Museums and Shopping
May 12, 2018
Cost $65 per person
“Catch a Falling Star”
Departure to tour the Air & Space Museum will be promptly at 7:30 a.m. with arrival time at about 10 a.m. Departure for home from the Air & Space Museum will be promptly at 3:30 PM. Other museums close-by at the mall include the National Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, American Indian Museum, and the US Capitol.
• Ever thought about reaching out and touching the MOON? Now you have a chance! View and touch the Moon Rock on display as you enter the Air & Space Museum, Capitol Mall location.
• Your tour will move through the following display areas (U2 Spy Plane, Discover XIII and GAMBIT), guided by Don Fair. His comments are based on personal experiences and will take about 30 minutes. After Don’s presentation, you are free to remain in the Air & Space museum or tour other close-by museums listed above at the Mall. A map to find these museums will be provided enroute.
• You will see the CORONA/GAMBIT reconnaissance satellite camera systems and recovery vehicles containing exposed film. This recovery vehicle was affectionately known as the “Falling Star.” You can learn how to “Catch a Falling Star” by watching the video, and see how these RVs were recovered in midair.
Squadron patch used by the Air Force 6594th Test Group based out of Hickam AFB, Hawaii. It flew first the C-119 Flying Boxcar Transport and later the C-130 Hercules Aircraft used to recover the CORONA/GAMBIT Recovery Vehicle film canisters from 1960 through 1982.
• Snacks and water will be provided. You’re on your own for lunch. The Union Station restaurants and Food Court are suggested for fair prices. Check out the map provided enroute. Note that shopping is available here during your free time.
• Contact Don Fair at (717) 802-2256 and/or e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Deadline to reserve your seat is April 12, 2018. Make checks payable to Allegheny Flight for Christ, LLC, and send to: Don Fair, 1522 Collingdale Circle, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050-7319.
The bus departs Holy Apostles Orthodox Church’s parking lot, 7111 Wertzville Road, Mechanicsburg, PA, promptly at 7:30 a.m. and will return to the parking lot at 5:30 p.m. Looking forward to seeing you on board!
Proceeds to benefit Holy Apostles Orthodox Church and EAA, Chapter 122
EAA Membership # 833578
Thanks Don, this was a great trip!